Civic Media Builds Statewide Radio Network
February 17, 2023 at 03:59:32 PM UTC
(Madison, Wis)-Civic Media celebrates a culminating deal in its year-long quest to build Wisconsin’s premier statewide hometown radio network. Civic Media has entered into an Asset Purchase Agreement with Magnum Media, now filed with the FCC, to acquire radio stations in four Wisconsin media markets. This acquisition will bring the total size of Civic Media’s network to 17 stations, covering nearly all of Wisconsin with news, talk, sports, and music programming with a hometown, community-driven mission of informing and entertaining listeners.
Civic Media will acquire a pair of FM signals in Eau Claire and Chippewa Falls, WI: the legacy WCFW 105.7 FM station, now broadcasting in HD under the callsign WEZY, and the newly constructed 93.5 FM translator, which will simulcast the HD2 subchannel. The station is currently broadcasting under the call sign WEZY, but will return to the original WCFW callsign used for most of the station’s history with the consummation of the purchase agreement.
Civic Media will also acquire WRJN 1400 AM and 99.9 FM, broadcasting from Racine, the 98.1 FM translator, rebroadcasting from Kenosha, and the associated Victory Avenue broadcast studios and tower site in Racine. WRJN is a Packers Network affiliate, Milwaukee’s only AM affiliated station. WRJN FM game day broadcasts can be heard in both Racine and Kenosha.
Civic Media will acquire 1490 AM “The Eagle” in La Crosse, WI and the associated AM land and tower facility. Magnum Media will retain the WLXR call sign.
Finally, Civic Media will acquire W239CV-FM, built at a frequency of 102.5 FM in Oshkosh, which will rebroadcast its existing WVXN 1520 AM station in New Holstein and 96.5 FM in Appleton.
“Dave Magnum and I have been actively negotiating this deal since we first met last Summer in La Crosse,” said Mike Crute, Civic Media President. “I just wanted to buy one radio station in my college town. Since that day, Dave and I have had a dozen clandestine meetings. We’ve spent 40 hours in the most complex negotiations I have ever been a part of. I literally married my wife after fewer dates, and I had to ask less often.”
“I respect, like, and admire Dave Magnum,” Crute said. “He is very careful about the legacy he is building for his children and grandson, and he is a shrewd negotiator. I appreciate the time and thoughtful consideration it took to part with any of his family’s stations.”
“My family, co-workers, and I will always consider it an honor to have augmented historic WRJN by adding the 98.1 Kenosha and 99.9 Racine translators and being recruited by the Green Bay Packers to become an affiliate,” said Dave Magnum, President of Magnum Media. “We look forward to continuing to serve our listeners and clients in the Racine-Kenosha market with 92.1 WVTY. We congratulate Sage Weil and Mike Crute for attaining their Wisconsin coverage goal by adding the Racine-Kenosha, La Crosse, and Eau Claire markets.”
“Acquiring FCC broadcast licenses is only the first step,” said Sage Weil, Civic Media CEO. “Now comes the hard work of programming and operating these stations in the public interest to provide listeners with local and regional news and commentary that is factual, fair, and trusted by the community. We are leaning into hometown radio where other network operators are not, and we look forward to building strong relationships with listeners across the state by providing content that is relevant to their local communities.”
Upon FCC approval and closing, Civic Media will operate 12 News/Talk/Sports formatted radio stations in Wisconsin:
- WMDX “Mad Radio” – Madison 92.7 FM, Columbus 1580 AM
- WAUK “The ‘Sha” – Waukesha/MKE 540 AM, 101.1 FM
- WRJN – Racine/Kenosha/MKE 1400 AM, 99.9 FM, 98.1 FM – Packer Network Affiliate
- WISS “Oshkosh Air Support” – Oshkosh/Fox Valley 98.3 FM, 1100 AM – Brewers Network Affiliate
- WGBW – Green Bay 97.9 FM, 1590 AM
- WFHR “Locally Grown Radio” – Wisconsin Rapids/Stevens Point 97.5, 1320 AM – Leerfield/Badgers Network Affiliate
- WRCE “News from the Center” – Richland Center 107.7 FM, 1450 AM – Leerfield/Badgers and Brewers Network
- WLAK “Lake Air” – Amery 1260 AM – Leerfield/Badgers Network Affiliate
- WBZH “Buzz of the North” – Hayward 910 AM
- WXCO “Bull Falls Radio” – Wausau 98.9 FM, 1230 AM – Leerfield/Marquette University Affiliate
- W228EP Eau Claire 93.5 FM (WCFW-HD 2)
- WLXR “The Eagle” – La Crosse 1490 AM “The Eagle”
Civic Media currently operates three “Classic Country” and “Country and Community” formatted stations in Wisconsin:
- WRCO – Richland Center 100.9 FM – Packer’s Network Affiliate
- WIRI “Wiscountry” – Nekoosa 105.5 FM – Leerfield/Marquette University Affiliate
- WSCM “St Croix Country” – Baldwin 95.7 FM
Upon FCC approval and closing, Civic Media will operate three additional music formatted stations in Wisconsin:
- WCFW – Eau Claire 105.7 FM (HD)
- WRPQ “Max FM” – Baraboo 99.7 FM, 103.7 FM, 740 AM
- WVXN “The Vixen” – New Holstein 1520 AM, Oshkosh 102.5 FM, Appleton 96.5 FM
Civic Media is dedicated to providing quality broadcast and digital hometown radio with a focus on local, regional, and state issues, covering the stories that are most relevant to the communities we serve. We believe radio plays a crucial role in our local communities, so we broadcast quality local news, local sports, and open, honest commentary that advances the understanding and engagement of our audience.
For more information, contact email@example.com.[/et_pb_text][/et_pb_column][/et_pb_row][/et_pb_section]